The first step of the process was to remove all of the doors and then rip off the existing baseboards. Check out that discoloration! Gross.
Next, we rented a drum sander and an edge sander and got to work. It took some adjustment to get used to the sanders, but eventually we got into the swing of things.
You can see some of the stains in this picture.
And then...we stained the floors ebony! My reason for picking such a dark color was two-fold. The first reason was to hide the ugly stains in the wood. And the second was just because I've always wanted dark wood floors!
Here's how it looks with one coat of stain.
And here's coat #2. It was significantly darker than the first coat. I was thrilled!
And then after a big struggle with polyurethane (this was by far the most difficult part of the process) we ended up with this.
It's far from perfect, but it's pretty darn good for our first attempt! Now, once we finish painting the walls we'll install some new updated baseboards.